Google Search

Google

Tuesday, March 27, 2007

CeBIT v 1.0

Ha - I finally made it. I'm in Hanover in almost 1 peace. why in almost one peace - well about 10k of my braincells went out of order, when we landed in Copenhagen. Oh well I'm ahead of my time - lets start from the beginning.

The Day begin normally - had all things packed and ready to go. After getting to Tallinn the weather changed. It started snowing again. I'm no big fan of flying, but i tolerate it quite well. Well today looking out of the window of the terminal was totally frightening. around 15m/s winds, snow and blister. All the flights were delayed. Our flight was delayed around 30 minutes and boarding took place on the airfield instead of the terminal. This was a new experience - going from a warm terminal to a blister storm was interesting, also boarding with blister storm is not common for me. I thought it was the worst part, but i was mistaken. The landing in Copenhagen was much worse. The pilot flew by the landing strip at least 3 times thanks to around 20..30m/s side winds. Its interesting to watch the plain acting like bird - flapping its wings like crazy... Going though that was not the end tho - the flight was totally late around 2 hours. After landing we ran to the terminal where the Hanover flight was supposed to go from, and again nearly made it. the flight was worse as I have gotten used to - flying with turbo jets - not the old fashioned propeller plains. Everything was shaking badly. Oh almost forgot to mention that our pilot was Yuri Gagarin - hmm who isn't familiar with Russian space program, he was an astronaut. Well I guess any other pilot would have not landed that well, so nice job Yuri :)

From the airport to the hotel we had to take the suburban train and metro. The central train/metro hub was bigger than I expected. I have never seen a central hub that runs on 3 level: top level for trains, middle level, for taxi and buses, with lots of shops and of the subterranean level for metro. Its an interestingly simple and efficient solution - why anybody here in Estonia haven't thought about it. The hotel was around 800m from the central hub and walking there was also interesting experience. All the drivers were obnoxiously polite. Right that does not sound like a really good comparison, but here you can practically get run over when trying to cross over street - there they did what ever possible to stop the car to let you get over the street. It isn't bad, its just weird... Also the bicycle culture is on the rise there - that cant be a good side. In Copenhagen I saw where the road would go - streets full of hotshot bicycler's, streets full of old/broken/broken bicycles. I hope the government wont let this to happen here...

The Internet in the hotel was really expensive - even for European prices 14e/hour. My monthly DSL cost around 2 hours of hotel Internet, so thats why I didn't blog there... The room was comfy but minimalistic - the interesting thing was the balcony. The view was nice - supposedly it was to an old cemetery. Well seems it was around 300 years old cemetery turned into a park or vice versa - a park wit a cemetery look - ether ways it was nice.

This is a rewrite of my first day writing - Ill try to continue tomorrow night..


technorati tags:, , , , , , ,

Blogged with Flock

No comments: